Weighty Wednesday



I have decided to start a new thing here that I'm obviously calling "weighty wednesday". I am serious about losing this weight, and want to get to the bottom of my weight issues. Each week I'm going to try to focus on changes that I think will help me on this journey to my best self. Not to mention the fact that this issue has become so consuming to me that I'm afraid if I don't limit myself to 1 day per week devoted to it, that is all I will post about anymore...

My weight was NEVER an issue until I got married. I was always very average. About a size 7 through high school, and around a 5 in college. I always felt a little heavier than my friends (except for in college. sad, i think i had 1 1/2 years where i felt good about my body... hmm), but I didn't have a complex about it then.

Once I got married, I slowly started gaining. I think it was the old thing about starting to mirror your spouse's eating habits. And unfortunately, I married a man who could eat anything and as much of it and not gain weight. Also, coming from a family of 8, I was used to cooking in bulk - I halved what I was used to cooking, but hello! At home, we cooked for 12 (for seconds) so 1/2 of that is still 6 servings for 2 people... Funny. Never really made that connection.

Anyway. I read recently on another blog that gaining weight is like that story about boiling a frog. It just happened gradually. Up a size here, oh, up another... and on it went until here we are!

I'm debating about disclosing my actual current size. Mmm. Nope. Not there yet.

Ok, so back to now. I have posted enough about my weight for all of you to know that it bothers me. But it has started seriously interfering with my enjoyment of life. I don't dress the way I want because of it, I feel extra insecure about myself because of it, I get grumpy because of it... Yeah. It's not a great place to be right now. I allow my weight issues to cancel out anything good or worthwhile that I have goin' on. (and I have got it goin' on...)

So. Because this weight has caused me to be EXTRA negative about myself to myself, my goal this week is to be kind to myself. Instead of focusing on the things I detest about myself, I will focus on the features that I like about myself. And then turn it into a sort of mantra. Any time the negative voice starts swirling around in my head, I will tell it to shut up.


What are some changes that you have made that helped you reach your goals? (and not just weight goals...)

Comments

Emily K. said…
I could tell you all the great things about you, would you like a list for help? :)
I really think posting each week helped my in all my recent goals ~ weight and running. I am excited to follow this adventure with you. YOU CAN DO IT!!
Joshua Jensen said…
I think it helps to make small goals to work up to your big goal, or at least have little rewards at set points along the way. And have fun doing it!
Annalyn said…
Thanks for the reminder - who doesn't need help staying positive about things...I sure do!
Cindy said…
I've really only ever worked at losing weight once in my life....not that I didn't need to work at it at other times I just didn't see my weight as being that bad....even though I have never had a great self image....and for the most part it just sort of went away without much effort. Weight has become a new thorn in my side in the last 2-3 years. Last year when I was working at it and was sucessful I did like Angela said and gave myself rewards for certain milestones. My downfall was seeing "skinny" as a destination not a journey. I lost the weight fast....and it came back on fast. So this time I'm taking it as a journey....5 lbs. lost 2 lbs. gained.....I think that if I just keep swimming eventually I'll get there. Right now I'm just trying to keep the minus's bigger than the plus's....two steps forward and one step back still gets you to your destination eventually right?!?!? Thanks for the introspective "be kind to myself" reminder.....this was a plus week and even though I am trying to keep the journey in mind it is so easy to get caught up in those horible negative thoughts.
Linds said…
I recommit myself to my goal every time I do it...let me explain. I am running a marathon in the fall, that is my end goal. Every time I run I am recommiting in my mind that I am actually going to do it. I can't think of the end goal too often because it feels overwhelming so I think of the progression daily. I think about running the 5 miles today. Once I do it, it's over and I feel good and that I accomplished something, as small as it may be.
Marrdy said…
This is always a hard battle...but a post each week should be great motivation! Good luck, you can do it!
Natalie said…
Have I said before that I love your blog? I feel like we have a lot in common and your honesty is great! I was just wondering this morning how to find a good balance between not belittling myself through comparisons with others, and still striving to improve. Like should I say I am okay the way I am and not work on things? I know that I need a balance and I am working on that. Thanks for the reminder to stay positive!