Weighty Wednesday II


**Warning: this post may contain a weight related rant.


So my goal was to be kinder to myself, and I felt like I was. I didn't berate myself when I looked in the mirror, I focused on the positives... The problem is that it didn't necessarily translate into healthy choices. I'd do okay with my food choices for a while (as in, a few hours into the day), but then I give in to the snacking urge, and down a sleeve of saltines. Or eat a candy bar that was conveniently stowed in the freezer for emergencies.

Here's the thing. I hate how big I am. HATE IT.

But one thing I hate even more is my lack of will-power. My willingness to make excuses.

Is this starting to sound familiar? Have I posted this before?


Exactly. This is the story of my adult life.


Just tell me guys, tell me I can do this. Tell me that I am strong enough.

In a way, I'm kind of glad the chiropractor wants me to not work out right now. So I can just focus on the food changes.

So. My goal this week is to consistantly make good food choices and to basically cut out candy. I am out of control, and I need to reign it in (i have no idea if that is the correct version of reign for this context...if i'm wrong, sorry grammar cops!). Oh, and I will drink more water.

What are tricks/tips that you have used to modify your eating habits?


don't be shy. discuss.

****




Comments

pan x 8 said…
Hey girl ~ love the post and love you. Not laughing at ya but knowing the dang stress behind that da@* "willpower"!!

Maybe you can stock up on healthy snacks and things. You know what I'm going through - have plenty of yogurt, fiber bars, veggie chips, fruit. I don't buy because I don't have any "willpower" to stay away. I figure what is good for me will be good for my kids too!

Hope that helps and you will find you way! Come on now - you are strong woman and don't let yourself tell you any different!!!

Go Karen!! YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS!!!

;P btw, totally love ya!
pan x 8 said…
oh and i totally am eating all the time... breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and then snack.. trick for me is to never go hungry and won't crash...

it actually takes a little planning and after you are "un"bothered by it (like I was) then you feel real good...
Liz said…
I am the worst at will power. I used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight. Those days are LONG gone,but I still have those habits.
I think presentation helps...if I put ice water in a fancy pitcher with lemons in the fridge, I am way more likely to drink it. If I put veggies on a cute plate...maybe that will work! Good Luck!
Liz said…
Write everything down that goes into your mouth. Everything. Even if it is only one french fry or one bite of something. It is kind of scary when you look back at your day and see how fast those calories add up. When I started to write it all down, it was there in black and white for me to see what I was doing wrong and right. I can also see where I am at for the day and know whether I can spring for dessert or stop at just dinner. It might help you, it really helps me.
I agree with the don't buy it if you don't want to eat it. If it is in my house, I WILL eat it, so I just can't buy the stuff I want/love.
You can do it. If you slide, just get back on and keep trying. You can do it!
Emily K. said…
Those are all great ideas. We ALL believe in you, now you have to follow suit and believe too!!!!
I found that I was more called to the gas station cup and straw than whatever was in the cup it's self (dt.coke). I fill my gas station cup w/ water every day and I drink like two or three of them. It's great!
I am considering giving up sugar/sweets for 10 days (I hear that's the hardest part) just so I stop eating snacky stuff. I will stick to my nuts, fruits and veggies. Maybe we could try it together? I haven't committed to a day yet. Is this long enough for you :)
You will make it! You are BRAVER than you seem, STRONGER than you believe, and SMARTER than you think. ~ Winnie the Pooh
Cindy said…
When I am actually on the wagon....which seems to be a joke at the moment....I do a combo of Janice's and Liz's comments. I do my best to keep my portions under control and even if I leave a meal not completely satisfied I know that I get to eat again within just a couple more hours....and then I make my snack count.

Dig deep and find what motivated you before Sophie. You are woman! You are amazing! And we are all here for you!!!
Joshua Jensen said…
You opened the door, so I'm walking in. I'll try to keep it brief for this format, so if you want more detail, call me. Seriously.

1. Small meals 6 times a day will jump start your metabolism.
2. What you eat in those 6 meals is important.
3. Drink water.

Sometimes, if you want to "modify" you have to begin with an overhaul, not just change a little. Then once you're in a better place in how/what you eat, then add things back in.

Sorry, I'm not perfect at this either, but I know what works and why, I just don't always choose to put it into practice.

I KNOW you can do this. I have no doubt in my mind that you can. YOU have to know you can do this and believe in yourself, every minute of every day. Put a reminder statement/poster on the fridge door, or on the cupboard. It has to be a totally conscience thing ALL THE TIME!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
Karen said…
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support and encouragement and advice. Like you, Angela, I know the mechanics of losing weight. It's just sometimes a matter of putting all of the pieces into practice...
Marrdy said…
I agree with Liz. Mostly with the writing down everything you eat. But I am not a very good one to be giving you advise...I have been trying to do better since January. So far I have GAINED 8 pounds. Talk about no will power. BUT YOU CAN DO IT!!!