Why I'm Proud of My Family

In my family, we used to exchange gifts with my cousins, and my grandparents would get us all presents... Eventually this tradition became a little overwhelming as we all started getting married, so we decided to take the money that we would have spent on our cousins and the aunts & uncles would spend on each other, and put it into a jar and use it to perform a Sub-for-Santa.

We find out the needs & wants for a family and then we divide into groups and shop for each person in that family. Many years we have been able to do more than one family. It has been a fun and meaningful tradition that we have truly enjoyed for several years.

This year I was kind of put in charge of this tradition (a passing of the torch from one generation to the next...), and because of the economic circumstances that many of us find ourselves in, I thought that we should commit to only one family. - And even then, I was worried about having enough to do it "right".

Tonight, as everyone came in and put their money into the bowl, I didn't pay any attention to the size of the pile, but once dinner was over and the money was counted, we found that we had a record amount of money and so my aunt was able to call her Relief Society President and tell her we could do one more family that was in need, and still had money to donate for additional families in the form of gift cards.

I am truly overwhelmed by the generosity and love that each member of my family showed for these strangers as we kicked off our holiday season. I love this tradition. I love seeing the best brought out in my eclectic extended family. I love seeing my kids so excited to shop for a little boy or girl. I love that they learn a little more about what Christmas should be all about... Giving.

Comments

Linds said…
although I feel that this year for some reason a bit helter skelter, I love this tradition too and I think it is soooo amazing how much was given! so cool. Thanks for organizing and doing so much work!
Annalyn said…
This was such a great story to hear, and then read more about - thanks! It made me want to head up something with all of our family gift exchanges...do you already know who the family is/what age to shop for before you donate...it sounded like it!
You did a great job organizing and I too was surprised that we yet again had more this year than the year before. It's an amazing thing that happens!
pan x 8 said…
You're right, it is amaziing.. These are the stories of heroes unknown that touch our lives and leave us better than we met. It makes us want to do better and truly look at what is most important in our lives. Thanks sweet friend!
Liz said…
I brought that tradition here and we do it with our friends and family each year. It is by far my favorite holiday tradition and one that I hope my kids will love as well.