A Mom Moment

I'm kind of having a down day. Nothing is WRONG, but I just feel "off". Probably a combination of not feeling 100% physically and being slightly stressed out with all the turmoil going on right now.

I feel like I'm letting my kids down by not being the fun, involved mom who gets out the paints, markers, or books - who has picnics in the living room - or who can even just calmly do homework with her kindergartener...

I know I can't really compare myself to the mom that I was when I only had 2 kids. 4 kids is different, and that's ok. But I really start to beat myself up that I don't do all of the fun things that I did when it was just Bryson and Meg. I do think that part of it is that I know that I'm capable of being better or more than what I am now, and that's amping up the guilt factor. Acknowledging that I am opting out and being much lazier as a mother is not easy. However, it IS going to be the motivating factor in some changes I'm going to implement in my life.

I AM going to be more involved with my kids. I will NOT rely on the t.v. so much anymore. I will encourage creativity in them and myself. I will accept that messes are inevitable, and I will not let that keep me from doing some fun activities with them.

So, I guess my purpose in posting this is to get some encouragement from my friends and family out there. Just tell me I'm not failing my little ones and they will not be permanently damaged from the neglect...


and since I forgot yesterday,
I'm grateful for:
1) a beautiful fall!!!
2) good books
3) faith and hope

Comments

Liz said…
Your kids are the sweetest kids I have ever seen! Totally a product of super parenting. They are so polite and sweet. You are a super mom and your kids have a wonderful, happy life!!! I mean it!
Cindy said…
I think we have all felt this way...constantly or at least every once in a while. I always ask myself "if I was able to be "Super Mom" when I was also working full time....what is my problem now?" Luckily I received some wise council from an amazing friend a few Sundays ago....if a friend came to you with a similar problem would I be saying the same things to her that you are saying to yourself? Absolutely not! You know you are amazing and are raising amazing kids. So be gentle with yourself and grab a Diet Coke. It makes everything at least a little better.
Emily K. said…
I think sadly, we all feel this way at some time or another. I have been/am in the same shoes - we just don't realize that we are all sharing alot of the same guilt. This cute article helped me let go of the guilt and start being the mom I am now. http://kestenfamily.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/super-women/
Not to say that I don't still struggle - you know I do. That's why we have girls night. You are more amazing than you know and your two youngest don't know that they are missing the zoo or whatever. All they know is the get to be with you!
Liz said…
If we let every little thing that we don't do get to us, we would all be beating on the padded doors of the padded rooms begging to be let out of our cages!! Seriously, don't beat yourself up over this because if you do, that means I have to, too. :D. I'm sort of kidding, but I hope you know that everybody feels this way (at least I tell myself that they do because it makes me feel better about myself) and nobody is that perfect mom all the time. Besides, I think it is the little moments that we grab whenever we can that will mean the most to our kids...the spur of the moment things!! Think about how exhausting it would be to do it all all of the time! I'm tired just thinking about it. Love you!
Being a mom is the hardest job in the world! It exhausting and messy and loud! But it is also the most eternal thing we will ever do in this life. No, we won't all be perfect- none of us will in fact. But that is where the grace of our Savior Jesus Christ comes in. He makes up the difference. So, if you want to change things, do it! If you feel like you are missing out- go for it! But always know that your best is GOOD ENOUGH! Even in your best is further from perfection than you care to admit (I am speaking for myself here). Know God loves you, know your children love you (because they remind you that you have legs too!) and know I love you.