Should I feel really sad that Megan and Bryson went back to school today??? Is it wrong that I feel just the tiniest bit relieved? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely ADORE my kids, but it actually feels kind of nice this morning to be down to Max and Sophie.
Summer passed in a kind of blur for me. We did a few fun things (emphasis on the word "few"), like we went to the cabin, and Bear Lake... saw a movie or two... But really, not too much fun stuff. So I feel bad that they didn't have a funner summer, and that their last weekend of summer was kind of traumatic. But they are total troopers, and were supportive and
I'm so blessed to have such wonderful kids. I have so many hopes for them this year. Ranking up there at the top is that they will have good friends and feel accepted and important in their social lives. Especially with Bryson in 6th grade, this is my last year in the ever-diminishing elementary school bubble. I want him to find a good circle of friends that will help him to make good choices and avoid the garbage in middle school. It's been kind of hard, because the kids in the ward are all divided into these charter schools and stuff, so they don't all go to school together to create that automatic circle of support that I remember having. Most of my closest friends in school were from the ward. It was easy. For my kids, not so much.
Max will be starting Kindergarten next week. I'm so excited for him. I have many, many fears for him too, but I think this experience will be so good for him and I will see so much growth and change for him. I think for him I worry equally about academics and social skills. I just pray that he can find some really good friends that will be kind to him.
Megan... She's just a natural student. I have few worries for her. Mostly I want her to find those good friends she can count on to be loyal and kind. Girls can be so mean! She will be great though. Even if she doesn't have BEST friends, she's very kind to everyone around her and always has someone to play with at school.
I guess because I always felt socially awkward, I really want my kids to have the confidence I lacked.
I can't believe how fast they are all growing up! I feel like I have missed so many opportunities to make a greater impact in their lives. So my wish for myself this year is to change how I do things. I want to take more advantage of my time and accomplish more. Personally and with my kids.
Things are great. I feel good about everything, and that there is a plan for me and my family. Even with everything sad that has happened, I really feel peaceful and optimistic about the future.
*thanks to everyone who has shown their love and support for us. we love you and couldn't do it without you!
Comments