I wish... & goals to get there

I wish that I was a better, funner mom. That I had more energy and enthusiasm about all the little things that kids love to do. I wish that I said "yes" more. I feel like I'm always saying no, and when I do say yes, it's with a sigh or an almost angry tone. I have no idea why I'm like that. I wish I felt like I was doing a better job at teaching my kids the gospel. That they could quote scripture or at least had a familiarity with more of the scripture stories. I wish I got out the paints whenever my kids said they were bored, or that they wanted to do painting - my kids have gotten to the point where they don't even ask anymore. Sad, huh! Wow. Putting this out there like that makes me feel really bad! But, maybe someone else has the same struggles. I think that we are so careful to keep our masks on, and to appear so perfect and with it, that others can feel inadequate. I guess I just took my mask off.

Putting this struggle out there in print is also going to serve as motivation for me to do better. If I put my goals out there, and have to account to whoever for them, I will HAVE to do better. So, my goals are:

1) Change my attitude. I will put on a happy face for my kids. I will use kinder words.
2) Say yes to things unless there is a REALLY good reason for me to say no.
3) Be sillier. I will PLAY more with the kids. I will get in the wading pool with them, and have waterfights more often.
4) Read scriptures with them every night. I think to start, we'll use the gospel art kit, and read that story from the picture for the little ones & from the scriptures themselves for the older ones.

I will post periodically to report directly on my progress. Encouragement welcome.

Comments

Being happy really is a state of mind! That doesn't make it any easier, but it does make it possible. As far as getting in the wading pool- uh, if it looks as gross as it did today, you have my permmission to skip that part.
love you.
Liz said…
I think that we get so side-tracked with all we "need" to get done in the day that we forget to just play. I have to consciously remind myself that this time in my life will be gone before I know it, never to be back. I, too, need to play with my kids more and not say no so often. You are not alone! ;)
Linds said…
you can do it! and just for the record you are fun!!
Alysha said…
I feel that way as well. My dad even asked me the other day if all I say to Keaton is "no". Made me feel horrible. By the way I think that you are fun. Look at all the things that you do do for your kids. All the trips to the cabin, this weekend at your parents and Bear Lake. Sounds like a fun summer!