Sometimes life takes you to this place where everything seems somewhat surreal, and you can't quite get your bearings - yet somehow you manage to keep functioning and going about the daily tasks set before you.
We are currently in such a place. I spent the morning making the necessary medical/dental appointments for Bryson. Normal life seems to be on hold as we are in the limbo stage of getting ready to see our first child leave for 2 years - only to come back as an independent adult. Not knowing where he will be going, or when he is leaving is more difficult than I ever imagined it would be.
I know that it's only 2 years, and he really does come back home to us (and who knows what plans for living arrangements or school will be...) - but even if he lives at home, it's still just not the same. The dynamic of our family as we know it now is soon to be irrevocably changed.
Compounding the sense of unreality is the fact that our 2nd child is soon to turn 16, and as she accelerates towards drivers license and dating, it's a whole new world for her as well.
Kid #3 is turning 13 in weeks, and #4 will be 10 later this summer. All of my children will be in double digits. It's beyond crazy to be at this point in our parenting journey!
But on the flip side of the strangeness, is the immeasurable sense of joy I feel in watching these kids of mine becoming such truly amazing people. Don't get me wrong, there is the daily battle of getting them to clean their rooms, to do the dishes/laundry/bathrooms, the occasional fighting, and the tendency towards laziness - but overall - these kids radiate a goodness that fills my heart to overflowing.
As they have discovered talents and interests, overcome trials and anxiety, they have begun to show the glimpses of the powerful adults they will become.
And as a mom, I could not ask for a greater blessing.
We are currently in such a place. I spent the morning making the necessary medical/dental appointments for Bryson. Normal life seems to be on hold as we are in the limbo stage of getting ready to see our first child leave for 2 years - only to come back as an independent adult. Not knowing where he will be going, or when he is leaving is more difficult than I ever imagined it would be.
But on the flip side of the strangeness, is the immeasurable sense of joy I feel in watching these kids of mine becoming such truly amazing people. Don't get me wrong, there is the daily battle of getting them to clean their rooms, to do the dishes/laundry/bathrooms, the occasional fighting, and the tendency towards laziness - but overall - these kids radiate a goodness that fills my heart to overflowing.
As they have discovered talents and interests, overcome trials and anxiety, they have begun to show the glimpses of the powerful adults they will become.
And as a mom, I could not ask for a greater blessing.





Comments