Two Front Teeth

2 front teeth

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.  It was taken with my iPod touch, and I probably need to try to clean the lens.  

But YAY!!  Sophie finally lost her other front tooth.  It had been hanging there all snaggletooth-like since the first one came out, so I am extremely glad that it is finally gone!

She now has a special love of the song "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth".  Darling.  I can't wait to see if she leaves a note for the tooth fairy.   Hopefully the tooth fairy remembers to come.  For some reason, she seems to forget a lot...  Until the unhappy child comes to my room in the morning complaining that the tooth fairy didn't come...  again.

Ugh.

Sometimes I really wonder why on earth we create these myths.  Really.  A tooth fairy?  Why not just give the kid a buck when they lose the tooth?  I'm seriously going to have to look up how that all got started.  Somehow I have a hard time picturing our ancestors way back when getting so thrilled about their child losing a tooth that they had to create this ritual about it...  We lose our teeth, they grow back.  and....?   I'm surprised we haven't created a maturation fairy who brings a box of pads or a razor at the onset of puberty!  Hey, maybe there's a marketing ploy there.  Nobody steal that idea, k?

And don't even get me started about all of the Elf on the Shelf ideas on Pinterest, I can't help but scream in my head, "wwwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyy???"  I'm SO glad that wasn't around or as big of deal when my kids were littler.  I can't imagine trying to remember to set up the elaborate "pranks" that this crazy elf pulls.  And beyond that, I don't get the logic.  If the elf is there to report good or bad behavior to Santa, then why the crap is he always making such a mess?  

Whatever.  So, I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant about the poor Elf.  Off topic much?

Back to the myth thing.  On the one hand, I do get the Santa thing, but would we be better off just teaching our kids from the beginning that Santa is really just a symbol of the Spirit of Christmas?  And not a real person who makes toys with the help of elves.  And an Easter Bunny?  Why?  At what point did we decide that just the true meanings of the seasons/holidays weren't enough?  

I'm obviously not condemning.  I went along with it all with my kids.  It's just what you do.  These are just some thoughts I've been mulling over.  I think there must be a way to balance it all.  I think there is a way to keep the magic and innocence of Christmas and Easter without it being about the gift giving creatures/people.  

But the tooth fairy...  I'm not so sure about that one.  

What do you think?  Am I onto something, or is my little grinch heart just 3 sizes too small?

Comments

Alysha said…
I agree with everything you just said. Especially about Elf on the Shelf. I thought it was kind of a cute idea about 5 years ago when you just moved him around the house. Mostly because it was another threat I could use on Keaton at the time. But it is just over the top now. I didn't buy it for the exact reason of I don't want to make up one more thing to tell my kids. Also, leprechauns don't show up at my house leaving gold or leprechaun poop or whatever it is that they do. Anyhow, if this makes me a grinch in society's eyes. So be it. Meanwhile, I just want to focus on other areas that I lack on teaching my kids. Rant over! Thank you.
Alysha said…
That felt good by the way. ;0
Jen said…
Oh My Gosh. I love your blog! You're an amazing writer. It's funny (awesome) how you can take your thoughts (I share some of them)and put them into words like that. What is UP with the Elf of the Shelf? Dumb! LOL. Ryan had a second front tooth that hung there forever too. I was also glad when it came out. So glad I didn't forget to put a buck under his pillow for it. but yeah, some of our holidays are so... Pagan? Don't get it either. But the awesome thing about kids is they make everything so magical.
I don't mind the tooth fairy business. What I mind is my own forgetfulness! If I were smart, I'd have a few things on hand, tucked away somewhere, ready for the moment when the tooth that's been hanging on for weeks finally decides to let go and fall out. Then I'd be set. Instead, I end up having to concoct crazy stories about why the fairy was delayed, which buys me a day to gather a few little goodies . . .

(Darling picture, by the way. What a dollie!)
Joshua Jensen said…
I am with you all.the.way. I refused to be the tooth fairy a few years ago, so it falls to Dad now. But, we never have cash lying around, so our tooth fairy almost always takes 2 days, minimum. Agree about Elf on the Shelf too. Fortunately, I never bought into that one. The Easter Bunny NEVER came to our house when I was a kid, so I still have a hard time with that one, but have done it bc of my hubby's desire to have that for the kids. I don't think you are a grinch, but maybe I'm just more of a grinch.