Normal















Over the past few days I have been feeling pretty emotional about something, and yesterday kind of brought it to a head for me.

Many of you know that my Max had many congenital defects that required multiple surgeries when he was a baby. None of them were life-threatening, but just needed some correction. We got through that. Fine. No problem.

As he has grown up, he has been much slower to reach certain developmental milestones than my other kids were (& are). Within "normal" range, but on the later end of normal.

Yesterday, I talked to the resource department at the school because they've been doing some testing that is required before he can be tested for CAPD (central auditory processing disorder), and it came up that his IQ is normal - but again on the lower end of normal. So, they say the gaps in IQ and academic performance are not THAT big. I'm not sure if that means based on his grade - or based on his age. Regardless. That isn't really the point of my post. I'll get to that in a minute.

Earlier this week, I watched an episode of Parenthood on TV. One of the couples in the show were told that their son (named Max, coincidentally) has Asbergers. (sorry if i misspelled.) I cried and cried as I watched the portrayal of this little boy and how he was treated by his peers, and how he was just a little different from the people around him. I can't even express in writing how heartwrenching it was to watch. And I know it's just a tv show, but ...

I have a friend whose son has Asbergers. I have other friends who have watched their children just "not quite fit in". And I have a son who is not quite the same as his peers. I have felt protective and defensive about those little quirks that set him apart just a bit.

And I worry.

Why?? Why do I worry so much about the fact that he is not cookie-cutter kid? So he has academic struggles. So some concepts are difficult for him to master. So it is going to take a modified teaching style for him to grasp certain things.

So what?

My new goal is not to make Max fit the same mold as everyone else. My new goals are to celebrate his strengths, help him overcome whatever struggles we can, and to rejoice in all of those things that make him my Max.


Max rocks at basketball. He is amazing at computer & video games. He is a good reader. He is the sweetest and most innocent boy I know. He adores his dad, and loves to snuggle with me. He looks up to his brother, and giggles with his sisters. He is a good, good boy who reminds me every night to read a scripture with him. He loves to make people around him happy. And most of all, he just loves to be loved.


I am so grateful for the chance that I have to be reminded that we don't all have to be "normal" to be amazing.


Comments

Monika said…
Thank you Karen.
Liz said…
He is so lucky that you are his momma. We are so lucky that he is in our family...where nobody is "normal" :).
Love you!
Liz said…
Karen....Bill and I totally cried when we just happened to flip on the TV at the moment she was talking about Aspergers. We obviously get your plight. I'm so sorry for the struggle. I love Max. Normal is just a word. Having come from a non-normal family, I'm glad he has a mom like you. We love you! Good for you being a super mom. It's the hardest thing in the world.
pan x 8 said…
YOU are AMAZING! MAX is AMAZING! Thank you for that! Really.
Cindy said…
I can't say that I "know" exactly what you are going through, but I remember that same moment that I had with Nathaniel when I realized that he may never be "normal" and there was such a rush of joy that came over me when I realized that "that's o.k." there are so many things that make him AMAZING and if I had to make him "normal" I would be taking away all of the things that make him amazing. (sorry for the horrible run on sentence, but you get the picture) I do understand the frustrations, and just knowing that no matter what you do, you all ready know that things will take a little more time with Max...and even though it is frusterating right now, maybe some day you will look back and be grateful for that extra time. You are amongst an elite group of mom's known as mother warriors...it's a hard title to earn, but in the end...totally worth it:)

p.s. if you are interested I would love to show/share the program that we have been using for Nathaniel. I know their difficulties are not the same, but it is a pretty broad program that is supposed to cover a lot of different areas....and the difference I've noticed in Nathaniel, since we started, is amazing!
Emily K. said…
You are such a strength to so many, I don't think you realize how amazing you are.
Thank you for helping us remember that you don't have to be the best to be normal. It's okay to be different, and it's even better to teach our children to embrace the differences. Love you lady!
Rebekah said…
Thanks for your inspiring post. What an amazing Mother you are. All of your children are so lucky to have you!