I was sitting near the back of the room at Max's kindergarten program, and I heard 2 young voices behind me complaining about not being able to see. Well, I could barely see myself (lots of big & tall parents in this kindergarten class methinks), so I could imagine that the kids would have a problem...
And suddenly I hear this awesome Australian accent say "move over here, is that better?"
The kids said, yes, they could see now, and I kid you not, the accent said "sometimes when you can't see, all you gotta do is change your position." ( it sounds so great with an Australian accent...)

My first thought was, I wonder if this guy looks like Hugh Jackman (my fave aussie...)
Alas, no. He was a tiny older gentleman (that makes it sound like he was really old - he wasn't. he was just older than me... by quite a bit)
Sorry about that... Any excuse to go looking for hugh pics...
Anyways, my next thought was: I don't think I've ever heard someone just speak in adage form in a casual conversation/remark.
But I've been thinking about what he said ever since. The thoughts that have been swirling around in my head are this:
When I am struggling with trials, and am getting really sucked down into the darkness of stress and challenges, things could really be much brighter if I change my position mentally. If I could allow myself (or force myself) to see the tender mercies and all that is good and light (even in the midst of darkness - because even in the very worst of circumstances, there will be light somewhere nearby), the view will change dramatically.
Just by moving a foot or two, the tall adults in the audience were not removed, but those kids were able to see enough of the program through the cracks and spaces and they could enjoy the show. They still didn't have an unobstructed view, but they saw enough to be content.
So to the Australian man sitting behind me: Thank you for your words of wisdom - they have inspired me to try to "change my position" and find a better view of my life.
...and do you know Hugh?
And suddenly I hear this awesome Australian accent say "move over here, is that better?"
The kids said, yes, they could see now, and I kid you not, the accent said "sometimes when you can't see, all you gotta do is change your position." ( it sounds so great with an Australian accent...)
My first thought was, I wonder if this guy looks like Hugh Jackman (my fave aussie...)
Alas, no. He was a tiny older gentleman (that makes it sound like he was really old - he wasn't. he was just older than me... by quite a bit)
Sorry about that... Any excuse to go looking for hugh pics...
Anyways, my next thought was: I don't think I've ever heard someone just speak in adage form in a casual conversation/remark.
But I've been thinking about what he said ever since. The thoughts that have been swirling around in my head are this:
When I am struggling with trials, and am getting really sucked down into the darkness of stress and challenges, things could really be much brighter if I change my position mentally. If I could allow myself (or force myself) to see the tender mercies and all that is good and light (even in the midst of darkness - because even in the very worst of circumstances, there will be light somewhere nearby), the view will change dramatically.
Just by moving a foot or two, the tall adults in the audience were not removed, but those kids were able to see enough of the program through the cracks and spaces and they could enjoy the show. They still didn't have an unobstructed view, but they saw enough to be content.
So to the Australian man sitting behind me: Thank you for your words of wisdom - they have inspired me to try to "change my position" and find a better view of my life.
...and do you know Hugh?
Comments
I do love the perspective of changing your position....it's not always easy, but totally worth it:)
I could really use changing my position in my mind after some things this last week, and it's REALLY hard. You just make it sound so simple and reasonable.
Thanks for sharing your newly learned insight!
I wish it were always as simple as moving over a seat or two, but sometimes it takes a little more effort than that.
But I think that in nearly all situations, it CAN be done. It's just varying degrees of difficulty.
O.K., thanks for that. I really need to "change my position" TODAY. Usually at some point most days, but really, really need to today.
Thanks for sharing words of wisdom!