Media Thoughts

I was just looking at the map that is supposed to be telling us which candidate won what state, and I have to laugh. One state (i can't remember which right this second) had called it for Obama, but there was like 6% reporting, and it was dead even at 49% each! Another even had it where the percentages were SO far in favor of McCain, but it was still colored blue (for Obama) and only a small percentage of precincts were reporting. I'm not an expert, and I'm sure there's some logical reasons behind why they call things like they do, but it definitely illustrates the media bias that prevailed through this whole election process. And it's not even like I truly favor one candidate over another, I think they are both varying degrees of WRONG, but even Obama die hard supporters must admit that things have been a little out of balance. Okay. Rant over. Sorry - I usually avoid posting any political views, but this really bugged me tonight.

Another media thought: last night there was a Staying Safe on KSL about blogging, and some VERY negative experiences a few families had with their blogs. Now, I know there are certain precautions that we should take - not posting addresses, too much personal info, etc... But how far do you think we need to go? Should all of our blogs be private? Should I delete my blog because it has my last name in it, and the full names of my kids? I mean, I tried to be really careful when John was out of town not to say how much I was missing him, just in case some stalker out there would know I was alone, but in all honesty, I really don't think my family is much at risk - mainly because it's only you, my family, and a few friends and neighbors who visit my silly little blog... What are any of your thoughts?

Grateful for:
1) The political rhetoric will dial back to a normal level.
2) A husband who brought home pizza tonight so I didn't have to cook.
3) A treadmill at my mom's so I didn't have to run in the rain.

Comments

Linds said…
my 2 cents, while I do feel the media grabbed onto Obama (who could blame them when he's way more interesting than an old scary looking man) this is not the only time they have grabbed onto one political figure of any party. They always have their favorites and this time it happened to be a democrat but there has been republicans too... the blog thing- I have a commenter on my blog that I have seriously considered going private for, but I don't feel really scared about it...so I don't know. I am thinking I might go private soon...
Liz said…
I'm not really one to think that your blog should go private...but then again, look where I live. I live in one of the safest places ever, so i might just be a little biased, LOL! If someone stalked me through my blog and then flew a million or so miles to get here and tracked me down...I'd have to invite them in for dinner and reward all their hard work! See, I'm totally full of great, helpful information.

I would still love you if you did go private, though. :)
Karen said…
I'm not really thinking I'LL go private, I just wondered about others' opinions. Linds - all I meant about the media bias was that this year seemed particularly blatant. Like they completely gave up the pretense of being balanced. As far as YOU going private, I think if I got any disturbing comments, I'd go private in a heartbeat.
Cindy said…
I've been thinking about going private just to make it easier. Every time I finish a blog I think to my self...if there is a sicko out there trying to find my kids would this entry get them one step closer. My cousins wife somehow was able to check who was looking at her blog and discovered that someone was searching for more info about her kids. I hate to be paranoid, after all we are all doing it...posting gorgeous pictures of our amazing families... but what if that one time that I slip up is all that it takes......o.k. paranoid rant over....tell me everything is o.k.